GOODBYE FOR NOW

Sunday, October 11, 2009

"Why does the networked student even need a teacher?"

This video to me was a photocopy of what this class EDM 310 is about. Ms. Drexler explained that this class has no textbook and that the teacher hardly ever lectures. The teacher empowers the students to take control of their learning by visiting other blogs, posting comments on those blogs etc... This style of learning allow the student to build his own PLN (personal learning network) and to also create a data base. He can post and save to his bookmarks and also share information with people.

iTunes and Podcast was also mentioned as educational tools the student can explore to find information about different topics. The student can create a virtual textbook from prior information he researched. People are able to comment and post to his blog. At the end of the video, the question was posed why is a teacher needed? The teacher teaches the student how to build his network and to take advantage of learning opportunities. She offers guidance when he gets stuck. She shows him how to communicate properly and also helps him to organize mountains of information.

This is exactly what my EDM 310 class consist of. I believe that a teacher is definitely needed to be as of assistant to me when ever I'm stuck. I thought I knew a lot about technology before this class. What I've learned is that something new is invented everyday when it comes to technology and there is no possible way to learn how to effectively everything, but it's very important to at least familiarize myself with new technology. This class has been a lot of fun and I will try my best to continue learning about new technology.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. I would like for a teacher to be in the class teaching rather than learning through a computer lecture. I believe students need a teacher there in case there is a problem.

    ReplyDelete